Studying in Spanish school is a great opportunity to enrol in the prestigious foreign university and to immerse in excellent cuisine, friendly atmosphere, excellent climate all year round. Also the high schools in Spain guarantee comprehensive development of the child’s personality. In Spain the children start education at the age of 6 years old and graduate at the age of 16 or 18 years. Below the stages of education in schools in Spain are provided:
- Educacion Primaria – designed for children aged from 6 to 12 years old, the studying is similar to kindergarten.
- Educacion Secundaria Obligatoria – designed for students aged from 12 to 16 years old. After graduation, a student can get his first job, enter a higher school or get a worker’s qualification.
- Bachillerato – designed for students aged from 16 to 8 years old, representing the full secondary education, allowing the graduate to enroll in prestigious Spanish university.
TOP schools in Spain – specifics of studying
The private schools in Spain, which offer high quality education, and strict discipline, are the best choice for parents, wishing to ensure the international career of the child. The schools in Spain conduct studying on such programs, as IB (International Baccalaureate), British A-level, also they offer to graduates an opportunity to enrol in any university of the world. Many private schools in Spain combine a Spanish curriculum with an international one, so graduates have both a Bachillerato diploma and an IB or A-Level certificate.
Among foreign students, the international British and American schools in Spain are the most popular. The studying is conducted in English, confident knowledge of which is a necessary condition for admission. In most private schools in Spain all teachers are native speakers of the relevant language. English and American schools provides the foreign students with quick immersion in the language environment: at the age of 12, children already receive an FCE certificate (First Certificate, level B2), and by graduation they speak the language at a Proficiency level close to the level of a native speaker.
High schools in Spain – the studying process
This program is the choice for those students, who plan to enrol in the university. On this stage o education, the students choose a profile specialization, according to which they will continue their studies at the university. The main areas of studying are natural science, humanities and art.
The diploma of a full secondary education must be accompanied by a document on the passed Selectividad exam. The total score is the result of this exam and the average grade for the Bachillerato course in a percentage ratio of 40% and 60%, respectively. In each region there are different minimum passing scores to the university, therefore, without enrolling in a local university, the applicant can try his hand in another city.
What is important to know about schools in Spain?
- High school or Bachillerato is the necessary stage of studying for the further enrolment in the university. In addition to diploma, to enter a Spanish university, the foreign students need to pass the Selectividad entrance exam, which consists of several parts (Spanish, Spanish history or philosophy, an additional foreign language, a specialty exam).
- The studying is divided in trimesters.
- Main holidays: Christmas (from December 23 to January 8), Easter (from April 8 to April 17) and summer (from June 21 to September).
- The percentage of independent work of students at home is 10-20% of the total program.
- Due to the greater workload and preparation for university, the high school students receive a lot of homework.
- Screening tests are conducted almost every week, and exams or a mini–session are held at the end of each trimester.
- The school tries in every possible way to maintain informal relations between children and management, students often call teachers by name and by “you”.
- Much attention is paid to sports, physical development: the international students play football, basketball, ping pong and other outdoor games.
Tuition fee in the private schools in Spain for foreign students
The cost of studying varies from 6,000 to 25,000 euro per year. For a fee, the foreign students are given the opportunity to stay on campus, individual lessons with teachers, learning an additional foreign language and extracurricular activities.
The best schools in Spain for foreign students – TOP 10
- British Council
- Hastings School
- Int. College Spain
- King´s college
- American School
- Benjamin Franklin
- Bon Soleil
- British School
- Caxton College
- The Lady Elizabeth.