Java is an in-demand and famous programming language among tech employers. Some of the world’s largest and most influential tech companies, including Amazon, Google, and Instagram, adopt Java to develop back-end web systems and desktop applications.
Hiring java programmers is incredibly critical for tech companies and start-ups to develop high-performance and scalable software products and solutions. In this article, we will explain what java developers do and how to hire Java developers to help you scale your project.
What do Java Developers Do?
Java developers are responsible for building software and applications using the java programming language. They also collaborate with web developers, software engineers, and other developers to use Java to create websites and business applications. They are always involved throughout a product development’s life cycle. They can also identify and analyze any issues and create efficient solutions.
Simple Steps to Hire a Java Developer
This section will highlight simple steps you can use to hire the best java programmers.
1. Analyze Your Project’s Scope
The first thing to do before you hire a java programmer is to analyze your project to know what it entails and its demands. For instance, the requirements will be different if you want to build a game using Java. Also, the demands will be different if the game is for an application. So, before you can get the best developer for your project, you must critically analyze the various parts of your project. These include the features, goal, functionality, budget, market, and even marketing needs. It will be incredibly easy for you and the java developer you want to hire to know what to work towards.
2. Draft an Outstanding Job Description
After you have critically analyzed the project you need the java developer for, the next step is to draft a job description. While this might look like it’s a simple task; in reality, it’s not. A job description that is perfectly drafted is critical to hiring the best java developer for your project. Hence, you must ensure you take your time to do it the right way. The first thing to do is to identify your developer needs. Do you want to hire a java programmer or a team of java programmers? Another question you must answer is if you want an in-house developer(s) or offshore Java developer(s).
The answers to these questions will play a critical role in how you draft the job’s description. For instance, it’s advisable to go for offshore java developers if you intend to hire more than one developer. After you have ascertained the type of java developer you need and the number, you can now start working on the job description. Depending on the level of expertise you require, ensure your job description consists of the following:
- The title of the job (junior, senior, or team lead developer)
- Role/Job Position
- Reporting officials
- The Core responsibilities such as developing, designing, maintaining, and managing Java applications
- Soft and technical skills required, including communication, core Java, and Java EE components.
3. Find the Developers
After you have successfully drafted an outstanding job description, the next step is to circulate it to reach the best developers globally. There are numerous platforms you can use to reach these developers. Some of them include:
- LinkedIn: It doesn’t matter if you want to hire java coders independently or a development company; LinkedIn is a great place to start.
- Events And Referrals: If you love to attend tech conferences, they are great hotspots for top java developers. So, you can leverage these events to look for a developer that fits your needs. You can also use your social circle for referrals. Ask other people in your circle to recommend java developers that can work for your project.
- Job portals: You can also upload your job description on online job portals like Indeed. You will surely get more job applications.
- Freelancer platforms such as Fiverr And Upwork: One of the best ways to hire Java engineers is through freelancer platforms, including Upwork and Fiverr.
- Consultants: If you don’t want to go through the stress of the hiring process, a job consultant can help you out. This is because consultants already have a list of candidates and their expertise. So, you can hire one to speed up the hiring process.
4. Interview and Shortlist
The next step is to shortlist the applications you have received based on skillsets, certifications, experience, and projects undertaken. Doing this will help you identify and hire the best java programmer for your project. To help you in this process, here are some technical skills you should look out for when shortlisting:
- Basic Java Concepts: These include algorithms, OOP, serialization, abstract classes, and data structures.
- Web Technologies: These include HTML, JQuery, CSS, React, and Angular.
- Java EE And Other Components: These include Servlets and Java Beans.
- Java Frameworks: Such as Play, Spring MVC, and Struts.
- Java testing tools like TestNG, Selenium, and JUnit.
Besides technical skills, non-technical skills are also essential. Any java developer you intend to hire must have non-technical skills such as time management, communication skills, ability to work with a team or various teams, excellent interpersonal skills, and must keep abreast with current trends with the newest upgrades and changes. After you have assessed the skills of the applicants, you must also analyze them practically. This is the interview stage. Some tests that will make it easier for you to pick the best candidates must include:
- Core Java aptitude test
- Java MCQ test (for Java architect roles)
- Advanced Java test (for senior developers)
- Liferay online test
- Spring boot online test
- Full-stack developer test
The results of these tests, together with the technical and non-technical skills of your shortlisted candidates, will help you to pick the best java developer for your project.
Hiring a java developer is not an easy task. You have to ensure they have the required skills and mindset for your project. However, this article has been able to highlight the steps required to hire a java developer. If you follow the steps in this article, you will have no issue hiring the best java developers for your project.