Automatic pet feeders. Portable smartphone chargers. Wireless audio systems. There are several things designed to make life easier. Is there something else that you want to add to this list? If anything, you might want to add patch management solutions.
This is an automatic and effortless way of keeping your programs and app updated all the time while increasing your cybersecurity.
What is Patch Management?
Patch management is your solution to improve your system and fix your network security vulnerabilities. This management solution includes identifying which patches work well with a specific method and ensuring that they are correctly installed. Its main objective is to have your system’s network updated and secured against hacking and malware all the time.
Manual or Automated: Which Patch Management to Choose
An automated patch management solution is generally preferred by many over the manual version. Manual solutions are tedious and time-consuming for IT Admins. Automated enterprise patch system works by simply streamlining the whole process through automation of the delivery of applications and operating systems relative to the latest updates via a universal patch management server.
How Automated Patch Management Works
This solution works by carrying out or deploying agents on an identified computer. These installing agents give a connection between the computers that need patching and the centralized patch server.
Also, they work other patching related duties like storing patches on a computer locally before installation, or sending alerts to a predetermined server, and even automatically retrying to install patch installation that has failed.
The Benefits of Patch Management
- Security. This is the most notable benefit you get with patch management. Most software vendors provide patches to address security vulnerabilities, usually exploited by hackers and malicious software. When you apply these security patches, security breaches are significantly reduced.
- Productivity. Most patches are offered with additional performance improvements for the product they are fixing. When employees are provided with a more precise system, getting rid of these problems quickly can lead to a boost in productivity. This, in turn, leads to reduced downtime.
- Keeping up with the latest. Technology is moving at a swift pace. When your organization is equipped with the right automated patch management solution, this will help you keep updated with the latest in technology without you thinking much about it.
The Essentials of Patch Management Software
- Comprehensive Scanning. Your patch management tool must have intensive scanning capabilities. Meaning, it should be capable of thoroughly scanning your network and pinpoint missing patches. The results must be definitive and conclusive with less false positives, and that the patches have to be updated or superseded.
- Competent Patch Development. The patch management must expertly install updates and patches to the network. Other concerns like bandwidth or multiple domains spanning should be taken into consideration. The reason why you utilize patch management tools is because of its efficacy in patch deployment. If the vendor cannot offer it, then it’s wise to look for another option.
- Detailed Reporting. In every network management product enterprise, reporting is very critical. IT personnel need a more comprehensive view of the complete patch status, along with the present deployment status and the critical issues that need to be addressed accordingly.
When choosing the best patch management solution, consider these useful capabilities. Take your time to look for the most suitable software vendor.