Are you thinking to start a food truck business but confused with many questions? Do you have any questions like what is the investment to be made? What is the scope of food truck business? How much profitable this business can prove to be?
Well here is an article where you can find answers to these questions. Let us have a look upon the contents of the article:
- What is the scope of a food truck business?
- What are the initial requirements to set up this business?
- Step by step process to start a food truck business?
- How can we boost the sales to make it a profitable business?
Now, let us start digging into these headings one by one and clarify all of your doubts.
What is the scope of a food truck business?
If you think that there is no money in this business, make sure you have read the current worth of this business globally. Yes, it is worth a fortune. The global worth of this business is minimum $50,000. And in United States, the worth of this industry is $2.7 billion today.
Many people are engaged in this business and are earning good money to secure their future and run their home well. You can be one of them. Here is a list of some advantages in starting a food truck business:
- Food trucks usually do not require much repair and maintenance i.e. they have low maintenance cost.
- They offer transportability, so you have a chance to change your target market.
- They are relatively cheaper than restaurants, and that is the main reason behind their success.
- They usually attract more customers.
- You have a chance to experiment with the current location you are employed on to.
There are tons of advantages which will excite you to open your food truck today.
In India, food truck industry is currently growing at a very fast rate. Which makes this industry very good subject for investment point of view. So we can conclude that this business has a very high scope in future and you should invest in this business plan soon.
What are the initial requirements to start a food truck business?
You need to ensure you get ready completely before beginning a food truck business, yet understand that things can go in uncertain events. To maintain a fruitful business, you should adjust to evolving circumstances.
- You can perform statistical surveys on your field and the potential customer base, which is a significant piece of creating a field-tested strategy. This includes running studies, holding center gatherings, and inquiring about SEO and open information.
- Before you begin selling your item or administration, you have to develop your image and get an after of individuals who are prepared to hop when you open your entryways for business.
- Fix a meeting with any business person or entrepreneur and you’ll rapidly discover that beginning a business requires a great deal of work. You cannot start a business but just thinking about it and not performing any task.
- Some growing business entrepreneurs know about the hard work to establish a business. In case you’re willing to invest to construct a business, you’re going to need to realize the means expected to arrive at your objectives.
- Small things like naming the business and making a logo are important. Regardless of whether it’s deciding your business structure or making a natty gritty promoting system, the remaining task at hand can rapidly accumulate.
Steps involved in starting a food truck business are as follows:-
Let us look on the steps to start a food truck business as starting any business requires very crucial number of steps that you cannot afford to miss.
#1. Determine yourself:
If you are well determined to start a business then no one can stop you from getting success in your life. Determination helps you by making you more motivated to achieve your goals in life. Also, it helps you to cross the difficult roads of your life without stress.
Here is a list of some questions that you should ask yourself before starting a business:
- How much money will you have at stake?
- How much time consuming is it going to be?
- Will you achieve happiness after starting this business?
- What are the other paths you could walk on if you don’t start the business today?
- Can you run the business at a small scale initially to test its growth?
- Can you deliver your 100% in this business plan?
If you could answer these questions from your heart, then you can feel positive about choosing this business opportunity and can start the business with huge amount of motivation.
#2. Find your target market:
In the event that you have decided your target market, at that point your business will sprout at a quick rate. You should simply to think as a client and break down his spending limit. Various areas have various kinds of individuals and they have different spending capacity.
You are running a food truck business, so your customers will be hungry people or people who are at a break from office. You need to recognize such area and figure out how to move toward them.
Try to talk to other food vendors and take their perspective of this business. Gather important information like:
- What kind of food do people prefer in this area?
- What kinds of people live in the area and what are their spending capacities?
- How much does repairing the truck cost at a regular interval?
If you are willing to open a food truck near schools or colleges, make sure that the food is of the same category that the students prefer and is easily affordable by them. It can be Chinese or Indian fast food. But if you are planning to open your food truck near official area, make sure the timings of their lunch break and your business match. Make sure you serve food that is preferred by adults.
#3. Determine your food items:
If you are planning to open a food truck business the most important thing you should keep in mind is to identify the main food items you are going to sell. After identifying the target market your main focus should be on identifying the food items for your customer. Find the local likings of the population before designing your menu.
Some common items you can sell that do not vary with population are:
- Beverages: People will always ask for beverages with food. Selling this item can guarantee the sale of some percent of your items.
- Ice cream: People will crave for something delicious and sweet after having a fast course meal. Selling ice cream can benefit your business.
- Chinese: No matter where you live, people are always ready to eat some Chinese fast food.
If you select a perfect menu for your business it will make sure that the customers revisit your food truck and increase your business. Therefore it can be concluded that determine in your food items is very important step while starting a food truck business.
#4. Get yourself a license and get registered:
Getting a license is required for starting every business and starting a food truck business is no exception. There are 2 types of licenses required everywhere and these are business license and food service license.
Here is a list of some permits or licenses required to start a food truck business in India:
- Fire safety certificate: this is very important because the operations of the business involve fire and hence this certificate is required.
- NOC from RTO: Having this permit will enable you to operate your truck and park it in a specified place.
- Shop and license of establishment
- NOC from Municipal Corporation: This permit will prove that you will maintain proper hygiene around your truck and a proper disposal system will be installed.
- License of mobile vendor from FSSAI: This will permit you to sell food items on the roads
- Insurance: This is a need for every cooking business as the operations involve fire.
#5. Market your business:
You need to start thinking out of the box and increase your thinking capacity. You cannot afford to sit at home and imagine that the business is running perfectly. You need to market your products so that customers are attracted to your truck rather than any other restaurant or food truck.
You need to identify your competition and take proper steps to eliminate the threat of losing from such competitors. Here is a list of some possible competitors which can be harmful for your business:
- Ice cream sellers: They can cancel your ice cream sale and moreover increase their customer base by offering discounts. You need to think of some strategy before setting up your food truck.
- Restaurants: They are the main competitors for you. But you have got tax advantages that they do not.
Let’s understand it with an example:
A restaurants charge Rs. 100 for one dish whose ingredients costs Rs. 70. But you charge Rs. 90 for the same dish but you have to pay Rs. 50 for the ingredients because of the lower tax rate for small business. Hence you can profit more by charging less.
- Food trucks: These can prove to be very dangerous for your business. You need to formulate a strategy to compete with them.
Some of the ways in which you can market your business are:
- Advertisements: By printing pamphlets and spreading them in the local area, you can advertise your products. It can increase customer awareness which will increase your business growth at a faster rate.
- Discount coupons: you can offer huge discounts in the initial days of the business which will attract customers and seta base your food truck business.
- Customise your truck: By customising your truck, you can attract customers which will also increase your customer base.
#6. Finance your business:
While starting a new start up, finding a perfect source of finance is one of the main problems you can face. Since every single other issue can be solved by taking advices from experts but this problem can still remain after setting up the business.
Here are a few manners by which you can locate an ideal wellspring of money for your business:
- Approach a bank for finance. Banks can give credits at a reasonable rate under various plans.
- Try assuming praise advance from the market. This can prove to be a suitable source of finance for you if you are not willing to take up a bank loan. The main flaw with this source is that it charges higher rate than banks.
- By your own reserve funds, you can get the cash for account with no pace of premium yet this may be conceivable in the event that you as of now have cash in your pocket.
- If blended appropriately, you can take advantage from both the sources.
#7. Boost the sales?
A business will perish if the sales downgrade. So, you have to keep in mind the fact that you need to take proper initiatives to boost the sales of your business. Keep finding the different ways in which you can expand your business. Some of the ways in which you can try expanding your business are:
- Try multiplying the business by exploring more dishes.
- Try to occupy the market by the use of internet. It is cheap and safe.
- Try to save your income and invest it in order to gain high return than banks.
- Try to make partnerships with different brands and sell their products at a higher profit.
There are many ways one can expand his business, you just have to be determined.
Hey! I wanted to know whether can one get the food truck on lease in Mumbai.
If yes, then what would be the approx charges and will it be profitable.
Request you revert.
It is hard to get food truck for lease in Mumbai, check Mumbai local directory . You can get mini van with modified interior but that may not be as per your requirement,
Why not get your own customized food truck with all amenities.
I wanted to know whether is it possible to run more than one food truck under the same brand name at different parts of the city.
And thanks for sharing the above information.Will kindly be waiting for your reply!!
Thanks for dropping by
Yes!! You can run more than one food truck under the same brand name at different part of the city in India but you need to have commercial license for each food truck separately. You have to register all your vehicle under same brand name for commercial use. Hawkers licence from municipal council or corporations is also required for each vehicle separately.
Apart from above separate formalities for each food truck, below are some process which is combined for all trucks:-
1- License from food & drugs administration (Only one required in the name of your brand name)
2 -Sales tax
4 -Service tax registration(in the name of your brand)
5 -You need to pay Income tax for revenue generated from all the trucks combined, obviously!!
SIR THANKS FOR THE ABOVE INFORMATION YOU PROVIDED.
I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS REGARDING FOOD TRUCKS THEY ARE AS FOLLOWS :
1]IN MUMBAI WHERE TO FIND READY MADE FOOD TRUCK OR WE HAVE TO MAKE OUR NEW TRUCK
2]HOW MUCH IT WILL COST FOR BOTH READY MADE AND FOR INSTALLING A NEW ONE
3]ACCORDING TO YOU WHAT SHOULD BE THE MENU
4]SHOULD THE MENU BE CHANGED DAY WISE
5]THE MENU SHOULD BE LIMITED OR VERY VAST
6]HOW TO GET CHEFS FOR OUR FOOD TRUCK AND HOW MUCH EMPLOYEES I SHOULD HIRE
SIR I WILL BE EAGERLY WAITING FOR YOUR ANSWERS
Thanks for dropping by..
Check this website for food truck supplier in Mumbai http://dir.indiamart.com/impcat/food-van.html
— Cost will depend upon size of van and as per your requirement.
— Select the Menu which sells good and you can change the Menu day wise if you are planning to serve in different location. If you want to serve food at corporate office area then keep the menu accordingly. Start with limited menu like meals for corporate employees. Menu changes with location and keep in mind that you have to outrank the competitor.
– I advise you to start with low budget and expand it as per requirement. Hire 4 workers at beginning for small truck then grow it accordingly.
Am from Orissa and I want to start a food truck business which will contain only Biriyani. So what should I have to do to have a food truck. Whether I will buy it newly or I have to make this one. What should be the investment..????
I really need your help sir ji..
Hi, Thanks for the very useful article. Given the way our government systems work, How much lead time does one need to consider to get through all the licences?
Thanks for sharing a nice article. I have couple of questions :
1. How difficult is it to take all the licenses that you mentioned above ? Cost for it ? also time line to get all approvals (in Visakapatnam, AP) ?
2. How much can we invest in customizing a TATA Ace vehicle for a Dosa food truck ?
already I have three wheeler vehicle and I want to convert it into food van so please suggest me address and the phone number of food van makers from Pune.Maharashtra.
Thanks for the information.
I was planning to purchase a mahendra maximo auto on finance(Second Hand) and then contact local manufacturer to make kitchen as per my requirements.
My question is that I already had a breakfast center n still have the kitchen items and wanted to know if those items(gas stand, dosa plate, small gas) will fit in the auto n what do you think will be approx cost.
My menu items at the beggning will be (Idly n Dosas) (Chicken biryani n rumali roti with chicken kheema curry)
I have few questions as below:
1) Do we have to deal with traffic police or regular police? Can they cause a hindrance?
2) Please share more insight on how to get the license and how much is the approximate cost?
Hi Sir ,
I am planning to start food truck business in bangalore. I want to know cost, where we get ready made food truck in bangalore. Please let me known
Thanks for all the information. It helped a lot.
I was thinking to start a food van and the idea that I have is to serve multi cuisines like rolls, a bit of Chinese, pastas and some Indian food verity too plus some mock tails as well. So if I start it in Delhi nearby some co-operate office, what are the suggestions that you have for the points below:
1. What is your opinion for the the idea of multi cuisine, Do you think it will work? Or should I start with a small menu and then go for the other things one by one according to the requirements and surveys.
2. Should I get a big van to start with or should I start with a comparatively small van and then get into it according to the profits. Because I would like to go beg term eventually.
3. Where to look for good chiefs and the reliable ones, if you have any in mind in Delhi please suggest.
4. I am not from Delhi, so will it be difficult for me to get all the licence for all the required things? Any suggestions for the same will help too.
5. Is Delhi a good place to go for it because I have two options Delhi or Jaipur. So which one would you suggest?
Could you please let us know what places we can buy the food truck (first /Second Hand & contact person details in Telangana, Hyderabad).
Where we can get the ready to go(full loaded with all required features) truck to start the business at the earliest?
Please help me in providing the information?
Hi Rohit, Sure. Please call me @9000260110. Happy to help you 🙂
as i am from F&B background in Delhi and my hometown is in Agra. i want to start my own food truck near to the hotel accommodation, my main revenue part have to come from them only. need to how much will it cost for buying or rent the wheel fully furnished and how to deal with local police. please let me know how to get good chinese chef in that small city like Agra. what could be the aminities to strat this.
Waiting for your revert
Hi i’m from mumbai,
i can invest upto 15L for starting food truck. but don’t have any previous experience or cooking experience. i’m willing to start a good and profitable business of food truck but
don’t know where to start? how will i get the mentioned licences? what kind of food serv?
is it require any partner for the business?
can i get a franchise of food truck? how it works?
lots of questions in mind but cant express it fully.
bro can u call me 9920101434
Hey Vijay even m planning for the same in Mumbai,the best area to be targeted in Mumbai will be south Mumbai,because of thier spending power,yesterday i visited Napeansea road in south Mumbai,i found a food truck seller there selling Waffles,the minimum amount he was charging was 150 and people were very happy with the service and no hesitation of spending and as per my calculation he makes a sale of around 3-3.5 lacs a month and after deducting the expense he earns a profit of around 80-90k approx.
Richard and Vijay if you guys are serious about becoming an entrepreneur lets gets started
Hi, i m from Delhi. Want to start a food truck business in Delhi NCR. I can invest upto 10 lac. I dont have any food business experience..
>>My major concern is the taste of the food and hygeine..?<<For that i need a good chef.. Please suggest me from where to get a good chef with less cost in Delhi NCR..
I am eagerly wiating for ur reply..
I am planing to stat up Truck business ,so could any one help me out. few query are following in the bellow .
1> whats the cost would be vehicle cost including set up .
2> what are the document need .
Hi Guys !
Thank you for all the information above. It provided me much insight and answered a lot of questions. Actually, I am also looking for a partner, preferably with prior expericnce in food business, with whom i can plan to run a food truck .
If somebody is interested or know somebody likewise please contact me.
Hi Nitin ,
First of all plz confirm from which city do u belong. I have a hobby of kitchen designing and had vast experience in food industry . I have designed some restaurants in UP, Punjab, and Jaipur. I am also planning to have a start up. We can discuss on it.
Hi Nitin ,
Thank you for purposel ,my name is prince and i am interested to join your concept.
i live in delhi.could you call(08447090842) me so we can discuss deeply if still you not find any one.
Hie Guys ,
Im from Chennai ..Looking forward to start a food truck biz…thanks a ton for the info shared …
I’m from Chennai too. If you’re interested in teaming up please let me know.
Good day all,
Someone please direct me to food truck manufacturers around Kanyakumari district, especially closer to Nagarcoil or Trivandrum.
Thanking all in advance
Hi, this is interesting… In fact we planned one but getting parking for truck in busy commercial area/road is a challenge here in Bangalore… As we are planning food on wheels specialising Biryani in bucket concept…!
hi i would like to know the cost of large vechile nd also medium… and plss share contact person detials in hyderabad
Who I get new rady made good truck in India plz plz digest me I want to start my food truck business
Hello everyone. I am in Mumbai. Very passionate about cooking. Have all the ideas in place. looking for some one to finance it. Would love to start up a food truck. If anyone is interested do get in touch with me. Thank you.
Me also from Mumbai… even i would love to start the business in food truck…
Hey even m planning for the same in Mumbai,the best area to be targeted in Mumbai will be south Mumbai,because of thier spending power,yesterday i visited Napeansea road in south Mumbai,i found a food truck seller there selling Waffles,the minimum amount he was charging was 150 and people were very happy with the service and no hesitation of spending and as per my calculation he makes a sale of around 3-3.5 lacs a month and after deducting the expense he earns a profit of around 80-90k approx.
hey monica if you are serious about becoming an entrepreneur lets gets started
Hii Monica I am interested to start a food truck
Hi Abdul here,
I too looking for this business setup in a minivan
Planning to make steamed foods. Want a vehicle that suits single person vending vehicle.
Pls reply if any one can help with this kind of business.
I am a noob ..
Try Maruti omni….the cost will be reasonable.
You can add a small generator and steaming equipments.
All the best..
Do keep us informed of the progress…..
Hi I am amay want to start a food van in nashik maharashtra what should I select the menu weather should start from fast food like all types or sandwich or like all tyeps rolls or should start with all types of cold coffees milk shakes can u help me out and suggest me what should I select and start
I would suggest go for something which is fast to prepare and one signature dish which is availble only with u
I am from Ahmedabad. Is it possible in Ahmedabad and on an average how much would it cost?
Hi sir,where I can find ready made food truck in chennai???
Hi i am rajnesh .i want to know that food van is success in small city like budaun or bareilly.
I am planning to start food truck.But I do not know how to find base location for the food truck where I can park it when it is not working? Pls can you suggest me.
hi.. my name is nitin, putting up in delhi.
I am planning to do food truck business in delhi ncr, but i dont have any idea that what the all procedure & all….
if anyone has idea for this business and interested to do business with me without any investment then contact me at – 9873937070.
hi… any food truck owners to share your experiences…?
any 1 to share your experince in food truck business
I would like to start business but where from i will get contact details of cook to prepare food. Can you help me in this ?
Hi ,I am planning to start a Fud truck Businees i n Hyderabad.Can some one sugget me where I could get second hand or New Food trucks
Hello, Mini this might help you find yor desired truck in hydrabad.. i see a video regarding food truck manufacturing in india on youtube then i come to know about them.. i don’t know the company & manufacturer name but they leave their contact numbers for further Assistance about food truck.. you can contact them on mobile no. – 9849077810 you can contact them..
Best of luck..
Can some on ehelp me with details of Food van
Hi, i am planning to start a food turck business in kerala .please tell me how much need money in start to open food turck. and how coast second hand foot van and where a iam get. thanks,
Hello , your blog is very informative and to the point for young entrepreneurs with a food truck idea in their mind but don’t know the how to go about it .
I have some queries regarding the same please help me with it
1) should the food truck be always be stationed in the same area / location everyday ?
2) If the Food is prepared somewhere else other than the food truck itself , should both the places be registered and known to the authorities.?
Thanks in advance .
I am from Hyderabad, would like to start food truck business with andhra items along with chainees food, please let me know How is food truck business in Bangalore?
I would like to open a food truck business in Bangalore. How much will be the investment required? i would like to serve only biryani during lunch time?
I am an Architect .. N I too am planning for Biryani and kebabs.. Authentic lunch…
With a Goan tinge..
Do connect ..if u may.. 7975286411
Hi, my name is Iker,
I am working on developing a food truck forum in Mumbai, and I will like to contact with you because it seems you know about the subject, and our main proposes is to make the people aware of this new business and it’s way of living.
Since the last year I have been running 9 food truck festivals in different places, and I will like to have a meeting with you for sharing synergies and maybe, collaborating together.
I want to open food truck in Delhi. what is the process??
Hi Iker Huidobro – do you have forum where we can register – Raj
I am interested in starting a food truck business in hyderabad. But getting all the licences seems to be a big hurdle. Suggest some person/lawyer to get all the licences.
Hi my self Shailaja trying to start small food truck business wts is expected expenditure to start and how to locate place to start
Hi guys ,
I m malhar from ahmedabad .
I want to know how to get best cook for specific items .
Hi this is Ashok,I am interested in starting a small village food truck business in Hyderabad and iam looking for good partner. Please any one interested please contact me on Watsapp – 9063775378.
Hi this is Ashok,I am interested in starting a small village food truck business in Hyderabad and iam looking for good partner. Please any one interested please contact me on Watsapp – 9063775378 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Any idea how much money and time we’d be shelling out to get all those licences??
The article is really helpful. I am planning to open a new food truck in mumbai soon. I have no experience in this field. So I need further help with:
1) The menu according to the target audience
2) Where can I find a chef in mumbai for the food truck.
Also I am looking for a partner in this venture.
I am planning to open a food truck in Pune city.. but I want to make it moving all around the city as per the time table… Which I will study.
Secondly. If I want to make my own food truck can it be done in a van like Tata winger? How much it will cost?
And lastly if I want some manpower to work along with me and who have a commercial vehicles licence can it be done.
I am also looking for same.. ping me at 08793522429
I am Kapil. I am planning to start food truck business in my hometown. Can you please tell me the exact information where we can get the fully designed food truck and the contact details.
I am from Pune and very much interested in having a food businesses.
Interested and only genuine people ping me on whatsapp- 08793522429
Hi, I wish to know the suppliers in Pune for the food trucks, kitchen equipment and other material.
hi , iam rahul from jaipur rajasthan working in govt dept but after 4 years i feel bored and want to start my own food van business sir i want to serve chole kulche khasta kachori and tikki is it good to go for it
I am Jose Thankachan from Kerala I would start a plan for food truck business in our place ,
please I need some food truck supplier address and mobile number also. total how much money need to a spending for food truck business. can u answer to me thanks,