Osmanabadi goat breed is from the Latur and Osmanabad district of Maharashtra. This is the tall animal usually black in color. Osmanabadi goats are well known for there disease resistance capability, their disease resistance as compare to other goat breed is more hence considered as the good breed for commercial goat farm. Also the milk yielding ability and the reproduction is very good in this breed usually they give birth twice year and twins are very common.
Milk yield is about 1-2 litres per day and the lactation period is of three months.
Osmanabadi goats are well adaptive to any region of India and there disease resistant ability enhance there demand in the country by different goat farmer.
Osmanabadi Goat Weight & Other Characteristics:-
- They are usually tall animal with an average weight of 33.5 kg (Adult male) and 31.5 kg (Adult Female)
- 75% of Osmanabadi goats are black in color some are brown,white and spotted colors.
- They have medium long ear.
- 90% of male have horn.
- Small udder with small teats.
- Water intake is very less as they are desert animal they consume approximately 500 ml of water everyday.
Reproduction in Osmanabadi Goat:-
- This Breed is known for its reproduction usually gives birth twice a year.
- Mostly gives birth to twins chances of triplets are rare.
- Kids are of 2.5 kg at birth and gains approx 12 kgs weight in first 6 months.
- Kids must be supplied with their mother’s milk at the time of birth and should continue for a month since this milk is full of colostrum which is an essential nutrients for the kids growth.
Osmanabadi Goat Breed Milk Yielding Ability:-
- Milk yield ability is good in Osmanabadi breed as it gives an average of 0.5 – 1.5 liters of milk in there lactation period.
- Lactation period typically ranges between 3-5 months.
- Milk yield is quite sufficient for there kids, hence reduces the kids mortality rate.
Osmanabadi Goat Breed Performance:-
Overall performance of this breed is good and would be prefer for the commercial goat farming. They are quickly adapted to the climatic condition where they are and can adjust themselves as well.
They can be kept under the stall feed and partial stall feed system, this breed does not require any special kind of fodder , they can be given anything like grass, tree leaves and cultivated crop like barsim, bajra, maize etc which reduces the fodder cost of osmanabadi breed.
There meat is rich source of protein and comparatively less fat and cholesterol level in it. Also the leather from Osmanabadi’s goat skin is of fine quality and has surplus demand in the market.
This breed is very hardy means its disease resistance ability is ultimate so it is preferred in the commercial goat farms and there feeding cost is also less as they dont need any special fodder for there growth , they can be easily kept under grazing system. Hence overall performance of Osmanabadi breed is quite acceptable.
If you want more information on Osmanabadi goat breed then please ask your question in comments below:-
Thanks expert-market for all the articles!!
I like to start one goat farm in Kashti, Maharshtra. Planning to keep 25 Osmanabadi with one Beed male. Is this combination good to start?
Some other questions as follows:
1. How much time the kids take to grow to be an adult. As you mentioned in time of birth the weight almost 2.5 kilo. My question is how much days it will take to be an 33 KG weighted goat?
2. What is the death rate usually? I am asking in general death rate.
3. Can you please guide me for an ideal and cheaper Goat Shed to begin with?
Thanks again for all the articles. I am just loving it!!
Sunanda Goat Farm
01. It takes 12 to 15 months to grow up as an adult. And reaches the weight of 33kg under good fodder management. (if he is fed well with mineral mixture and balanced green and dry fodder)
02. The mortality rate in this breed is less than 10% (death rate) in good clean housing management.
03. make use of wood and bamboo and what ever scrap material is available shed cost will be reduced the only thing to be cared is the shed should have good air ventilation and at least 15 SQF. space per goat.
Friends Got farm
Slolapur , Maharashtra
Comment:I am from porbandar dist of Gujarat.I am interested to start a goat farming with 50 goat.I have a much grazing area(gram panchayat).and my on 2.5 acres of seasonal water supply.I have sufficient land for goat shad and plot.
i am femilier with animal husabandary like cows and buffelow.bût its costly and low profitable.so I need a query as per below.
1_ which breed is perfect for my region.
2-which breed is good for cross briding for your suggested breed.
Sir a goats farm chalu Krrne ke baad yeah goats Saling kase karneka?
Online Marketing is a good and hassle free option…. Raj
hello sir i wish to start Goat Farming business. can u suggested me how to sell goats? it means which market is suitable for selling the goats……
Sir, I am from Maharashtra , Bhandara district, village- pimpalgaon.
I want to start goat farming with 50 goats. How much cost will required?. I have sufficient land in my village with bore well.
what would be the overall cost of setting up a osmanabadi goat farm for 500 goats..
How much cost of of setting up a osmanabadi goat farm for 100 goats..
I am just curious about what would be the weight(adult in months) of offspring of osmanabadi goat crossed with Boer buck?
Sir, I am from karnataka, belgam district, village- sankeshwar
I want to start goat farming with 5I osmani
goats. How much cost will required?. I have sufficient land in my village with bore well.
We have a goat farm. At present we have Punjab Beatel breed and some local breeds for in breeding.
We would like to purchase Osmanabadi Does ready for mating (10-12 months old). Please let us know from where we can buy 15 nos pure breed Osmanabadi does on an immediate basis.
I want to purchase 15 nos of pure breed Osmanabadi goats ready for breeding (1 year old). Please let me know if you can sell and where can I contact you?
Hi Sir I’m Jankiram Nalawade , At Post Bazar Sawangi Talk .Khultabad Dist.Aurangabad, Maharashtra, India. I’m graduat. I have 15 Acres Land. I want to start goat farming. I have 4 local goats already. But I want minimum 50 Osmanabadi Does. But my finance side is very low. If any one invester interested in partnership.Then plz contact me. My Contact no. 8550916386, email:- jankiram.n@ rediffmail.com.
One more thinks plz send me address of Osmanabadi goat market. How coasting about 50 goat?
Thanks For all information.
Did you get the investor
Pls be advised for Telangana state which breed is suitable and availabilities breed details provide
Can you suggest me any good performing goat farm or any expertise who can guide me completely to start a new goat farm. I want to visit goat farm nearby Nagpur to gather information. Please suggest me
WE ARE NEED TO GOAT PLEASE TELL ME PRISE
Need information on Khandeshi
Dear Concern ,
Request your great help, what will be the costing per unit, what is the recommended age to buy, what should be the weight of the goat or sheep, where do we get this as i am from hyderabad
I want to buy a pure osmanabadi breed 50 nos.tell me a address from where I buy.i live in jharkhand,Dist-west singhbhum
How many times osmanabadi goat can breed?